Joy, finally

I did it for the joy it brings, because I am a joyful girl--Ani DiFranco

It's natural to acknowledge the courage and strength it takes to get through a difficult time or to overcome a challenging situation.  Lately I've been struck by the tremendous courage it takes to choose a joyful life--the strength and focus required to reach for a joyful moment, amidst the serious and demanding work at hand.  

Allowing even the smallest opening to joy, in any situation, radically changes everything.  For the better, all day.

At a summer quilt camp I had a student who was a great teacher to me.  Sewing strong seams, choosing the best colors and designs can seem like serious business.  This produces stress in some of us, myself included.  This 6-year-old sat in her chair, rocking gently side to side considering all the possibilities.  

"I'm so excited!" she whispered to herself, repeating the phrase over and over, sitting on her hands.  

She took the time to absorb the joy of the situation before moving on to the work.  And that joy informed her process the entire week, radiating outward.  Her name was actually Joy.

Comments

Popular Posts